Position Title: Senior Chemist I, Makeup Development Science of Formulation
Location: Clark, New Jersey
Department: Makeup Development
Reports Into: Assistant Vice President, Makeup Development
For more than hundred years, L’Oréal believes that beauty needs Science. In a world now transformed by digital technology and the emergence of new scientific domains, we are confident in our ability to turn these opportunities into major innovations, closely linked to the new consumer expectations all over the world. Science & Technology are allowing us to invent safe, trustable, sustainable & responsible beauty products and experiences that will change people’s lives.
L’Oréal Research & Innovation (R&I) has continuously invested upstream in its research with a high level of ambition. Our 4 100 L'Oréal R&I people are talented and highly skilled, located in major markets, working in a cooperative way, open to the world.
The Senior Chemist I in Makeup Development Science of Formulation is responsible for supporting the formulation and characterization of formulas, in conjunction with the Development laboratories to ensure quality of their product and relevance and quality of the data they will generate by relying on your expertise.
As a Senior Chemist I in Makeup Development Science of Formulation, your main responsibilities are:
- Generate, manage, and participate in projects to support formulation laboratories around the robustness of the formula.
- Supporting the laboratories of the Cosmetics Professions in maintaining scientific skills and acquiring the skills necessary to guarantee the quality of their formulations : contribution to the development of training.
- Support them in the implementation of the evaluation of the robustness of their formulas, in collaboration with R&I Quality, using your skills in both physical chemistry and digital sciences.
- Support them in the analysis and implementation of plans to solve technical problems, up to Quality Incidents, through the translation of problems into scientific terms and the implementation of related action plans, including Digital whenever possible.
- Identify and, if necessary, set up and transmit the characterizations necessary for the understanding and security of the formulas.
- Identify, develop and establish scientific collaborations to provide knowledge and/or develop new expertise (consultants)
To Succeed In This Position, you are someone who:
- Uses scientific/technical knowledge as a tool to support design risk management
- Interprets results in the most relevant way and communicates them with integrity.
- Continuously develops its expertise and invests in new technical know-how or methods. Share and pass on your expertise.
- Is able to set up communication and training actions around the science of formulation
- Ensures compliance with quality, safety and sustainability commitments.
To Succeed In This Position, you have:
- PhD in Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Materials Science, Polymer Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or related science is required
- 0-2 years of relevant, industry/postdoctoral laboratory experience
- Experience in makeup and cosmetics formulation preferred
- Experience with rheology, viscosity, DSC, or texture analysis preferred
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, handle multiple projects and work with various groups.
- Strong organizational and coordination skills
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Must have authorization to work in the United States on a full-time, permanent, ongoing basis, without the need for legal sponsorship now or in the future
What's In It For You:
- Corporate Short Term Incentives (Corporate Profit Sharing Bonus, Individual Performance Bonus)
- Competitive Benefit Package (Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K, Pension Plan)
- Hybrid Work Policy (Up to 2 Days Work from Home for eligible positions)
- Flexible Time Off (Paid Company Holidays, Paid Vacation, Vacation Buy Program, Volunteer Time, Summer Fridays & More!)
- Access to Company Perks (VIP Access to L’Oréal’s Internal Shop for Discounted Products)
- Learning & Development Opportunities (Unlimited Access to E-learnings, Lunch & Learn Sessions, Mentorship Programs, & More!)
- Employee Resource Groups (Think Tanks and Innovation Squads)
- Access to Mental Health & Wellness Programs
Don’t meet every single requirement? At L'Oréal, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and innovative workplace. If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with the qualifications listed in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways! You may just be the right candidate for this or other roles!
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application for a recognized disability under applicable law, please email [email protected]. Please note this email will only respond to specific requests for assistance completing the application as a request for accommodation for a disability. All others will not be considered.
Our Safe Together Plan: Your safety is our highest priority. We will proceed with caution and adhere to enhanced protection standards to ensure our sites are safe for all employees. We must all operate with the shared responsibility for each other’s health & safety in mind.