Do you want to help deliver innovative product formulas from the bench, to the plant, and help get them in the hands of consumers?
Then L'Oréal Research & Innovation (R&I) might be exactly the place you have always been looking for!
For more than one hundred years, L’Oréal believes that Beauty needs Science. In a world now transformed by digital technology and the emergence of new scientific Domains, we are confident in our ability to turn these opportunities into major innovations, closely linked to the new consumer expectations all over the world. Science & Technology are allowing us to invent safe, dependable, sustainable & responsible beauty products and experiences that will change people’s lives. L’Oréal Research and Innovation has continuously invested upstream in its research with a high level of ambition. Our 3800+ L'Oréal R&I people are talented and highly skilled, located in major markets, working in a cooperative way, opened to the world.
Inside L’Oréal’s Research & Innovation Division, Demi Grand (DG) and Corporate Industrial Processing (CIQ) is responsible for managing process development projects in support of the formulations for our over 35 brands. By proposing and executing winning processes that deliver stable and functional products, this team helps to bring the innovative visions of formulation chemists to life. The team does a significant amount of hands-on work in the DG production floor, occasionally in laboratories, pilot plant, and/or manufacturing plant environments.
We are currently seeking a talented and innovative Chemical Engineer, to join our Demi Grand department located at our Clark, New Jersey facility for Research and Innovation. In this role you will be working closely with Research & Innovation (R&I) teams responsible for designing, validating and commercializing product formulas. This is a hands on position to conduct and/or oversee the initial scale-up manufacturing of new formulations, conduct evaluation of batches using laboratory equipment, and assist in the development of processing. You'll help in executing the troubleshooting in production and joint batches project management with Demi Grand (DG) and Corporate Industrial Processing (CIQ). You'll actively participates on internal project teams focused on improvement of work flow, safety and efficiency. This role is a combination of office, DG production floor, pilot plant, and commercial production environments with the percentage of each varying with the requirements and stages of projects.
- Manufacture initial scale-up batches of revised/new formulations
- Refine procedures based on guidelines from formulation laboratories, process development and processing staff.
- Interface with all Research & Innovation (R&I) teams responsible for designing, validating and commercializing formulas to define and design processes for revised/new innovative products.
- Evaluate batches against lab standards, specifications and make necessary adjustments as required.
- With guidance from management, manage process development for multiple projects simultaneously to define a winning scale up process for new, complex innovative formulas
- Deliver stable and functional products within outlined deadlines
- Troubleshoot hard to industrialize product to successfully define winning processes
- Practice good laboratory techniques in compliance with DGO guidelines and laboratory SOP’s.
- Complete and maintain necessary, accurate records for all batches
- Clean and maintain equipment after use to maintain the cleanliness of the work area.
- Suggest, help, explore and support introduction and implementation of new processing and filling technologies to improve overall Demi Grand operations.
- Provide technical assistance to Demi-Grand Processing Team on new technologies and equipment.
- Contribute to department activity/project reports as required
- Communicate results to management and L’Oreal process communities
- Participate in safety evaluations, assessments and initial start-up training of new equipment.
- Assist management in running work flow and efficiency improvement projects.
- Recommend improvements in procedures, methodology and techniques.
- Use and maintain balances, thermometers, and other related laboratory instruments and to prepare samples and complete test procedures.
- A minimum of a Bachelor's Degree in Chemical Engineering is required. Master’s a plus.
- 3+ years’ experience in cosmetic/personal care or related industry required
- Experience with the operation and cleaning of various types of manufacturing equipment.
- Basic knowledge of laboratory procedures and safety
- A familiarity with cGMP and FDA regulations a plus.
- Strong organization skills to handle multiple projects with strict deadlines, seeking direct guidance as needed.
- Experience working effectively in a collaborative, team environment.
- An ability to think creatively and independently to find new and unique solutions to complex problems.
- Strong communication, presentation and project management skills.
- An ability to detect and evaluate differences in colors and odors a plus.
- Must be able to lift 35 lbs. (15.9 Kg) and be certified to wear respirator.
- An established self-awareness, in terms of understanding your own culture, identity, biases, prejudices, power privilege, and stereotypes.
- Someone who can work on fairly complex equipment while trying to minimize delays to the business
- Someone who is innovative and resourceful in problem solving technical challenges
- Someone who can achieve results without compromising integrity
- Someone who has a scientific curiosity and passion for consumer products
- Creative and self-motivated.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application for a recognized disability under applicable law, please email USApplicationAccommodation@support.lorealusa.com
. Please note this email will only respond to specific requests for assistance completing the application as a request for accommodation for a disability. All others will not be considered.