Position Title: Manager, Hair Care Category Leader
Location: Clark, NJ
Department: R&I Evaluation Intelligence
For more than one hundred years, L’Oréal believes that beauty needs Science. In a world now transformed by digital technology and the emergence of new scientific domains, we are confident in our ability to turn these opportunities into major innovations, closely linked to the new consumer expectations all over the world. Science & Technology are allowing us to invent safe, trustable, sustainable & responsible beauty products and experiences that will change people’s lives.
L’Oréal Research & Innovation (R&I) has continuously invested upstream in its research with a high level of ambition. Our 4,100 L'Oréal R&I people are talented and highly skilled, located in major markets, working in a cooperative way, open to the world. L’Oréal, Research & Innovation is a vast, multidisciplinary, scientific community working in more than 30 specialized fields, spread out across the world in 21 research centers across 6 regional hubs, 14 evaluation centers, and 49 scientific and regulatory departments. Our employees represent over 60 nationalities and are united for one passion: to invent and perfect innovative, high-performance products for the well-being of all across the world.
To discover more on our scientific and technical functions at L'Oréal Research & Innovation, please check out our website
We are seeking a Manager, Hair Care Category Leader to join our Evaluation Intelligence (EI) team in our Clark, NJ Research facility. This role is responsible for acting as a strategic partner to the Hair Categories, influencing project ambitions and shaping the category strategy.
As a Hair Care Category Leader in our EI team, your main responsibilities are to:
- Propose robust product experience evaluation plans; providing a strong body of evidence for product performance across 3 EI Sciences (Consumer, Sensory/Expert, Instrumental/Clinical/Claims); while working in collaboration with labs, Innovation Direction, Consumer Market Insights, and worldwide Global Category Leader (GCL)/ Hair Care Category Leader network
- Help brands successfully translate product innovations into launch plans. Co-develop product testing methods and study designs with brands to streamline development and marketing/communication for launch
- Monitor and track in-market performance and competitivity of L’Oreal brands
- Embody the US USER VOICE within Domain cross-functional core teams, identifying the consumer relevance of key strategic projects across different markets and targets
- Synthesize data and results between sciences (consumer, sensory/expert, instrumental /clinical/claims) to create product insights and performance rationale
- Partner with project leaders to define project briefs, product performance pyramids, consumer targets and key competition for key hair care projects
- Maximize product technology potential by building a worldwide evaluation plan working closely with global science teams and the Hair Care Category Leader network
- Synthesize and communicate key project performance as representative for EI at top management and global meetings
- Continuously build hair care category/product knowledge and product performance dossiers (evaluation strategy and performance summary) Specifically,
- Drive clarity & alignment globally on:
- Project objectives linked with Domain stake/battle.
- Product performance experience evaluation and consumer targets
- Competitive benchmarks and countries of testing
- Lead strategic Product Performance Experience Evaluation topics:
- Identify method development gaps linked to your projects / domain roadmap.
- Harmonization of methods and protocols globally related to the category.
- Global need gap analysis by consumer end-benefit (state of art products and formulas)
- Global product/category competitivity snapshot
- Technical (Consumer, Sensory/Expert, Instrumental/Clinical/Claims) characterization of category
- Create and present EI data to project stakeholders and at strategic leadership meetings.
- Enforce EI interface/project mode by stay well-integrated with the business (CMI and brands) and cross-functional R&I partners throughout testing and transfer of projects for launch to ensure alignment on product performance.
- Align with Domain/Global CL on project direction and local evaluation plan for global projects. Coordinates with local EI science expertise teams and create abbreviated dossier with relevant project performance cards.
To Succeed in this Position, You Have:
- 5-10 years of research experience in product evaluation, innovation, or development.
- Bachelor’s, master’s or PhD in Psychology or Market Research or Science related field
- Able to translate consumer, clinical and sensory insights into actionable recommendations to drive product development and exceptional consumer satisfaction.
- Experience developing strategic creation; storytelling and presenting in a way that is inspiring, clear, and persuasive.
- Proven ability to drive organizational alignment and influence stakeholders.
- Demonstrated history of leadership, guiding cross-functional teams.
- Ability to deal with ambiguity, breaking down challenges and setting direction.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication (written/oral) and organizational skills.
- Authorization to work in the United States on a full-time, permanent, ongoing basis without the need for legal sponsorship now or in the future (required)
To Succeed in this Position, You Are:
- Highly motivated, self-guided with strong strategic vision.
- Able to approach our work in a highly collaborative way.
- Strong in analytical and strategic thinking skills; intellectually curious.
- Strong in problem solving and analytical skills.
- Flexible to work on multiple US and GLOBAL projects, with a deadline-driven deliverable.
- Confident engaging with and presenting to senior executives.
What's In It For You:
- Corporate Short-Term Incentives (Corporate Profit-Sharing Bonus, Individual Performance Bonuses based on level)
- Competitive Benefit Package (Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K, Pension Plan)
- Hybrid Work Policy (Up to 2 Days per week work from home for eligible roles, subject to manager approval)
- Flexible Time Off (Paid Company Holidays, Paid Vacation, Vacation Buy Program, Volunteer Time, Summer Fridays & More!)
- Access to Company Perks (VIP Access to L’Oréal’s Internal Shop for Discounted Products)
- Learning & Development Opportunities (Unlimited Access to E-learnings, Lunch & Learn Sessions, Mentorship Programs, & More!)
- Employee Resource Groups (Think Tanks and Innovation Squads)
- Access to Mental Health & Wellness Programs
Don’t meet every single requirement? At L'Oréal, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and innovative workplace. If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with the qualifications listed in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways! You may just be the right candidate for this or other roles!
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application for a recognized disability under applicable law, please email [email protected]. Please note this email will only respond to specific requests for assistance completing the application as a request for accommodation for a disability. All others will not be considered.
Our Safe Together Plan: Your safety is our highest priority. We will proceed with caution and adhere to enhanced protection standards to ensure our sites are safe for all employees. We must all operate with the shared responsibility for each other’s health & safety in mind.