This position is responsible for managing various elements of makeup product development from project initiation through market launch with a critical focus on communication of scientific knowledge, selection of active ingredients, and coordination of innovative testing.
Product Valorization Manager- Makeup R&I, Clark, NJ
To manage a team of scientific liaisons that provide technical support for L’Oreal makeup brands by working in partnership with all functions in corporate R&I. To provide technical advocacy to DMI Marketing, Claims, Legal, Public Relations, Development lab, Evaluation, and zone Marketing as required.
- Manage North America and global makeup projects for claims validation and communication purposes. This includes evaluating testing plans, negotiating claims with marketing and the claims/legal groups.
- Track all projects and ensures that all tests are completed by liaisons on schedule and provides marketing with updates accordingly.
- Supervise a team of liaisons, helping them to develop expertise, experience and empower them in their responsibilities.
- Facilitate clear communication at the interface between R&I and Marketing.
- Review concepts, cartons, packaging, advertising, web, e-commerce, training materials for technical accuracy.
- Maintain awareness of new technical or marketing opportunities from scientific and technical literature and publications.
- Serve as a creative catalyst for potential new technology discoveries and/or new ingredient communication.
- Brainstorm innovative testing approaches for support of active ingredient and product performance.
- Review test platforms with team to ensure all product claims are being addressed
- Explain technical information and technologies, providing insights into ingredients and tests on L’Oreal and competitive products.
- Work closely with Evaluation team to coordinate clinical, instrumental, and consumer testing
- Partner with Claims team to ensure substantiation needs are met
- Review/approve final test results with technical support/interpretation with all partner teams
- Review/approve technical dossiers for new products or modifications to existing products
- Provide PR support as needed
- Maintain a close connection and provide clear and timely communication with Director, lab partners, Claims team, Legal and Marketing
- Clarify marketing’s wishes and objectives to laboratories on each project regarding target market, desired advertising claims, ingredients, etc.
- Track Claims testing budget advise management of testing costs and status
- Lead broader scope initiatives as needed
- Degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering, or related science. MS or PhD preferred. Makeup experience is a plus.
- Minimum 5-10 years of technical experience required in personal care/and or cosmetic products
- Minimum 2+ years managing direct reports required
- Some background with product claims and scientific communication.
- Must be able to prioritize, handle multiple projects, and work with various groups within a matrix organization
- Must communicate clearly and be adept at giving technical presentations to large groups of professionals
- Works under minimal supervision.
- Fluency in a foreign language (French, Spanish) a plus.
- Available to travel to New York City/Jersey City (25%)
- Must be authorized to work in the United States on a permanent, ongoing basis, without the need for legal assistance.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application for a recognized disability under applicable law, please email [email protected]
. Please note this email will only respond to specific requests for assistance completing the application as a request for accommodation for a disability. All others will not be considered.